This article describes how to activate and utilize the Facebook Dating app for iOS and Android to begin making matches.
You must be at least 18 years old and have a valid Facebook account to use the Dating app. Facebook does not require you to create a new dating profile; it leverages the information from your existing profile to identify prospective matches based on common interests.
To activate Facebook Dating, follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your mobile device.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines at the top right corner of the screen to open the Facebook menu.
- Scroll down the menu and tap on “Dating.”
- Follow the prompts to set up your dating profile, including choosing your gender, adding photos, and answering a few questions about your interests and preferences.
- Once you’ve completed your dating profile, you’ll be able to see potential matches and swipe through them to indicate your interest.
- If you match with someone, you’ll be able to start a conversation with them through the Facebook Dating messaging feature.
Note that Facebook Dating is only available in select countries and is only accessible through the Facebook mobile app.
What to Know About Using Facebook Dating
Also, your profile will be recommended to other Facebook Dating users. Similar to Bumble and Tinder, Facebook’s dating tool does not allow you to message other users until you both show interest in each other.
To use Facebook Dating, you must verify that you are at least 18 years old. You have two possibilities for completing this task. The first is to upload a video self-portrait, which Facebook will use to determine your age. Instead, you may upload a photo of a photo identification.
As the dating feature pulls information from your regular Facebook page, you should complete it to the fullest extent. There is no separate Facebook Dating app or website; the feature is integrated into the mobile Facebook app.
Photos and other content shared through Facebook Dating do not visible on your main Facebook profile. Facebook Dating discussions are also kept distinct from Facebook Messenger conversations.
If you become Facebook friends with a person after a match on Facebook Dating, you can still view their dating page.
The application will begin proposing profiles individually. The Dating feature of the Facebook app can be accessed at any time to view your suggestions.
Here are five steps to take when utilizing Facebook Dating:
- Tap the heart on a user’s profile to let them know you like them, or tap the X to pass. If they like you back, you can start a conversation.
- If someone else likes your profile, you’ll receive a notification. Tap the heart on their profile to like them back so that you can send a direct message.
- You can view your matches and conversations by tapping Matches at the top of the app.
- Scroll to the bottom of your profile and tap Answer a Question to answer random questions that will help Facebook improve your match suggestions.
- You can also add photos and share Instagram posts at the bottom of your profile page.
How to Adjust the Facebook Dating Settings
To adjust the Facebook Dating settings, follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your smartphone and tap on the three horizontal lines on the top right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap on “Dating.”
- Tap on the gear icon on the top right corner of the screen to access the settings.
- In the settings menu, you can adjust the following options:
- Gender: Choose the gender(s) you want to see in your matches.
- Location: Choose the location(s) you want to see matches from.
- Age range: Set the age range of people you want to see in your matches.
- Distance: Set the maximum distance you want matches to be located from you.
- Notifications: Choose which notifications you want to receive from Facebook Dating.
- Blocked people: View and manage people you have blocked on Facebook Dating.
- Make the desired changes to your settings and tap “Save” to apply the changes.
Note that some settings may not be available in certain locations, and Facebook Dating is only available in certain countries.
Facebook Dating Secret Crushes
Secret crush allows you to match with your Facebook friends and Instagram followers. Go to the bottom of the screen, where Facebook suggests profiles, and click Secret Crush.
Afterwards, you can pick Facebook and Instagram pals. If they have Facebook Dating enabled, they will receive a notification that someone has a crush on them, without knowing who. If they include you on their list of secret crushes, you will be paired.
The app will not propose any of your Facebook friends, and your dating profile will not be visible to any of your Facebook friends who utilize the feature. But, friends can add each other to their secret crushes list, so if a friend has a crush on you, you could match with them.
How to Delete a Facebook Dating Profile
If you want to delete your Facebook Dating profile, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Facebook app on your mobile device and go to your profile.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap on “Dating.”
- Tap on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on “General.”
- Scroll down and tap on “Delete Profile.”
- Confirm that you want to delete your profile by tapping on “Delete” again.
If you are using Facebook Dating on your computer, the steps are slightly different:
- Go to Facebook.com and log in to your account.
- Click on the downward arrow in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on “Dating” in the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on “General” in the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Scroll down and click on “Delete Profile.”
- Confirm that you want to delete your profile by clicking on “Delete” again.
It’s important to note that deleting your Facebook Dating profile will not delete your Facebook account or any other Facebook-related activity.