This article describes how to locate and verify online postal codes and area codes. Zip codes and postal codes are numerical codes used to expedite mail delivery, whereas area codes are used to specify the geographic region when dialing a phone number.
What to Know
- Zip codes: Use the USPS Zip Code Lookup tool, or search Google or Bing.
- Find area codes: Type the city and state name, along with area code, into Google, Bing, Yahoo, or Wolfram Alpha.
- Or, use a specialized website like Area Codes, Country Codes, LincMad, or AllAreaCodes.com.
How to Find a Zip Code Online
- Open a web browser: Launch a web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.
- Visit a ZIP code lookup website: Go to a reliable ZIP code lookup website. Some popular options include:
- United States Postal Service (USPS) website: Visit the USPS website at www.usps.com. On the homepage, you’ll find a search box where you can enter an address to find the associated ZIP code.
- ZIPCode.org: Go to www.zipcode.org. You can enter an address in the search box on the homepage to retrieve the corresponding ZIP code.
- Zip-Codes.com: Visit www.zip-codes.com. The website provides a search box on the homepage where you can enter an address or city to find the ZIP code.
- Enter the address: In the search box provided on the ZIP code lookup website, enter the address for which you need the ZIP code. Make sure to include the street address, city, and state for accurate results.
- Retrieve the ZIP code: Click on the “Search” or “Find” button to initiate the search. The website will then display the ZIP code associated with the entered address.
- Note down the ZIP code: Once you have obtained the ZIP code, write it down or make a note of it for future reference.
It’s important to note that ZIP codes are primarily used in the United States. If you’re looking for postal codes in other countries, the process may vary slightly, and you might need to use country-specific postal code lookup websites.
Find Zip Codes at USPS.com
If you have an address or a portion of an address, you can locate the zip code using USPS Zip Code Lookup, a utility on the website of the U.S. postal service. You can also search by city or state, or locate all cities within a given zip code.
Find Zip Codes With Google
To find zip codes, you can also utilize a variety of search engines. When searching for a zip code by address on Google, for instance, enter the information you know about the address to view a map of the area that shows the zip code.
To see all of them for that location (and to discover links that display a complete list of zip codes for that region), you may even write something like South Laurel MD zip code. You can also input a zip code to view the city(s) that that zip code is associated with, along with a map and other relevant online results.
Also Read: What Is the Purpose of Zip Codes?
If the zip code isn’t added at the conclusion of the search, Google can return results that are unrelated. For instance, a search for 90210 brings up details about the TV show, whereas a search for 90210 zip code brings up details on the zip code.
Look Up Zip Codes With Bing
When you enter a zip code into Bing, it returns information on the city or area it belongs to, maps, and nearby landmarks like restaurants, lodging, and theaters. Bing fills in the blanks of an incomplete address and displays the zip code.
How to Find an Area Code
You can use a search engine to find an area code by looking up the city, much like you would for a zip code. Simply enter the area code to perform the opposite and determine the region of the nation it corresponds to.
Find an Area Code With Google
Enter the name of the city and state you’re looking for, followed by the phrase “area code,” into Google to get the area code. Usually, you can locate what you require.
When you search for terms like “Kenya calling code” in the international listings, you’ll get a helpful response with the phone numbers you’ll need to call Kenya.
Find an Area Code With Bing
If you enter the city and state in a new Bing search, the area code will likely appear at the very top of the results, similar to Google. Likewise, this holds true for international dialing codes.
Specialized Websites for Zip Codes
Numerous websites specialize in locating area codes that a standard search engine query may not reveal. You can use these free resources to locate almost any area code and/or international dialing code:
- Area Codes: Features area codes from mostly the United States, though other countries are scattered through here as well.
- BT Phonebook: Use this site to find area codes in the U.K.
- Country Codes: This site asks you what country you’re calling from and to in order to assign the correct country code, area code, or both.
- LincMad: A zip code map that offers a visual representation of area codes in the United States and Canada.
- AllAreaCodes.com: Similar to LincMad, you get a full area code map of the US and Canada, but also links to region-specific area code lists, details about the area codes (e.g., wireless or landline, carrier, when it was introduced), search tools, and printable area code lists.
How can I find my zip code in Nigeria?
There are no ZIP codes in Nigeria; ZIP codes are only used and available in the United States. In the United States, postal codes are used for distinct states; when prompted for a ZIP code, simply provide the postal code for the state in which you reside.
Is a zip code an exact location?
A ZIP Code is a geographic code used to designate a specific location or region. Combining street address, city, county, state, and country into a five-digit code, it is used to help identify a specific location.
What is ZIP number in address?
A ZIP Code is a five-digit number that identifies a specific post office or mail delivery territory. ZIP Codes determine the ultimate sorting and delivery destination of letters. Each ZIP Code identifies a collection of mail delivery routes and areas serviced by the United States Postal Service.