One of the most well-known dancers in Nigeria is Poco Lee, whose true name is Iweh Pascal Odinaka. He transitioned from performing on the streets to being one of the most well-known dancers on the African continent.
His journey to popularity is one of the success tales of the internet generation; he shot to stardom after his dance video for one of Zlatan Ibile’s songs trended on Instagram.
He has also established himself as a household figure for the majority of Gen Z Nigerians and young influencers on the continent thanks to his deft legwork and Zanku maneuvers.
Poco Lee has performed on stage alongside A-list superstar singers and performers including Davido, Wizkid, Burna Boy, Tiwa Savage, Reekado Banks, Zlatan Ibile, Naira Marley, and Niniola among others since his breakout year when he appeared in the well-known diverse Zanku Legwork video.
Along with a vast number of A-list musicians who frequently include him in their songs, Poco Lee is also connected to Burna Boy, Gucci Branch, Zlatan Ibile, Olamide, Naira Marley, Rahman Jago, Zanku Records, Marlian Records, DMW, and many others.
How it started for Poco Lee
His biggest break came when he uploaded a video of himself dancing to Legwork and Zanku at an event held by Lagos State University (LASU), which earned him a repost from Tunde Ednut on Instagram. The dance pioneer Zlatan Ibile noticed the one-minute movie as it spread quickly online and appeared on the profiles of various celebrities. He quickly teamed up with him and used him in the music video for the song Zanku.
He was spotted dancing in various high-profile celebrities’ videos just following his viral dance.
Poco Lee, who grew up in Lagos alongside his sister, is the third of Mr. Kenneth Iweh and Mrs. Augustina Iweh’s five children.
He was born on 21st October 1996.
Poco was raised in the Lagos neighborhood of Ojo, where he completed his primary education at the Nigerian Navy Primary School, Okokomaiko in Ojo.
He attended Command Day Secondary School in Lagos State’s Ojo Barracks for his secondary schooling.
He graduated with a bachelor’s in arts from Lagos State University (LASU)
Although Poco Lee has not yet wed, he is still in a committed relationship with Amaka, his longterm lover.
What You May Not Know About Poco Lee
- Lee is said to have begun his dancing career in the street of Lagos coupled with Mastering of Ceremonies and professional Hypeman.
- He is from Orlu LGA in Imo State.
- He used to post couples of skillful dance videos online which sees him inventing new moves.
- In a recent interview with Potpourri, Poco Lee revealed he got the name back in his junior secondary school days. “It was during musical class. There is an Italian term in music called Poco a Poco which means little by little. So, I was actually the smallest in the class then so they started calling me Poco. I added “Lee” to spice it up and since then It’s “Poco Lee” from everyone,” he recalled.
- In 2021, Poco Lee broke down to tears as WizKid brought his friend Bella Shmurda to London to perform at 02 Arena.
Source of wealth
- Nigerian dancer
- Master of the Ceremony
- Brand Ambassador
Poco Lee’s estimated net worth ranges from $100,000 to $150,000. His main sources of income are music video roles, serving as an MC, and being the events Hypeman.
He became the dancer that most Nigerian musicians want to use in their music videos after appearing in Zlatan Ibile’s music video. He has appeared in music videos for songs like;
- Killin’ Dem – Zlatan Ibile ft Burna Boy
- Am I A Yahoo Boy? – Naira Marley
- Zanku – Zlatan Ibile
- Oyi – 2Baba ft H Idibia
- This Year – Zlatan
- Agege -Tekno ft Zlatan Ibile)
- Vision 2020 – Bella Schmurda ft. Olamide
- Soapy – Naira Marley
- Osanle – Zlatan Ibile ft Davido
- Bum Bum – Davido ft Zlatan Ibile)
- Of Lala – Rahman Jago, ft Jamo Pyper, and Zlatan Ibile.
Awarded “Best Dancer” at the 2019 Naija Hype Awards (NHS), Poco Lee.
Burna Boy, Gucci Branch, Zlatan Ibile, Davido, Olamide, Naira Marley, Rahman Jago, Tiwa Savage, Reekado Banks, and Niniola are just a few of the Nigerian musicians with whom he has collaborated. Poco Lee has performed dance at international gatherings such;
- One Africa Music Festival – Dubai, United Arabs Emirate
- Valentine’s Jamboree Concert – Nairobi, Kenya
- Naira Marley’s concert – O2 Arena in London.