The roles of non governmental organizations in agriculture cannot be underestimated. In this article, we would explore the definition of non governmental organizations, examples of Non Governmental Organizations, ways in which Non Governmental Organizations Contribute to agriculture and an explanation of how science based Non Governmental Organizations have contributed to agriculture.
Non Governmental Organizations are organizations owned by private agencies, individuals or cooperate bodies concerned with development of people and societies.
According to Wikipedia, “A non-governmental organization, nongovernmental organization, non-government organization, or simply an NGO, is an organization that is, generally, formed independent from government.“
Examples of Agriculture Non Governmental Organizations
- IITA – International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
- WARDA -West Africa Rice Development Agencies
- FAO – Food and agriculture organization
- WVI – World vision international
- IFAD – International fund for agricultural development
- HP – Hunger project
- Corporative societies
Roles of Non Governmental Organizations to agriculture and Ways in which NGO’s Contribute to agriculture.
- They carry out research to develop and imrove new crop varieties
- Provision of financial support on subsiduies for agricultural projects.
- They fund research for better farming methods and develop farm implement
- They control appropriate farming system.
- They control diseases and pect through production of resistance in variety of crops.
Roles of science and technology in agriculture
- Development of implements and machinery such as tractors, planters, plough
- Pest and diseases control
- Development of chemicals such as; insecticides, fungicides, fumigants
- Animals and plant breeding through habitation of genetics and breeding
- Animal nutrition
- Transport Network
- Processing facilities should be provided to the farmer
- Development of Fertilizers
- Weather and Climate
- Development of irrigation system
- Development of farm management system.